Will the patent preparation and prosecution industry follow others like architecture and accounting/tax, where adoption of industry specific automation solutions is nearly universal?
We next asked what patent drafting software the survey respondents use. The answers were:
- Patent Bots
- Rowan Patents
Our next two questions delved into the strengths and weaknesses of the tools the respondents use. For strengths, we received answers including:
- Reduces drafting time
- Integrated drawing tool
- Easy to use, cheap
- Automatic renumbering makes changes easy
- Creates an application shell for me
- Recent support for chemical applications is very useful
Weaknesses identified included:
- Software is not useful for certain types of technology
- Takes a while to learn
- Not very comprehensive
- Only addresses the claims and specifications – not the drawings
- While we can’t identify which solutions the respondents addressed these topics to, they are worthwhile input.
Lastly, we asked the respondents to identify what percentage efficiency gain they would consider to be a success when selecting patent drafting software. We offered four options: 10%, 20%, 30% and 50%. We got a mix of answers, the most popular being 30%.